Thursday, April 14, 2016

A to Z Challenge: B(e) Kind 366 - L is for Learn

Every day in 2016 I'm performing an act of kindness (random or otherwise). That's what B(e) Kind 366 is all about! In 2015 I blogged A-Z with lists of potential acts of kindness beginning with each letter. Here's my L list from last year: Random Acts of Kindness beginning with "L."

Today L is for Learn.

Today was the second and last day of Mental Health First Aid. It's a course that I truly feel everyone should take to gain a better understanding of mental illness. Over the two days I learned about mood disorders, self harm, anxiety disorders, eating disorders, and psychoses as well as how to aid people who are experiencing any of the many symptoms or effects that fall under these categories.

ALGEE is the reference guide for the five basic actions required to perform mental health first aid:
A - Assess the risk of suicide and/or harm
L - Listen non-judgmentally
G - Give reassurance and information
E - Encourage the person to get professional help
E - Encourage other supports

I honestly learned so much and I have no doubt that I'll be able to aid people in the future should the need arise.


(G is for Giveaway a few posts back! You should check it out and enter!)

No comments:

Post a Comment