Wednesday, April 6, 2016

A to Z Challenge: B(e) Kind 366 - E is for Eating (Local) and Ethical Purchasing

Last year I blogged A-Z with lists of potential acts of kindness. All of those lists were part of the planning process for this year's massive kindness project: B(e) Kind 366 where I am performing an act of kindness (random or otherwise) every day of this year!

Today is Day 97 and E is for Eating (local) and Ethical purchasing. 

The Dock is a pub located less than a block from my house. They serve a host of menu items prepared from locally grown ingredients and dare customers to be locavores: one who eats food grown locally whenever possible. Tonight I ordered one of their feature "locavore" items: Buffalo Chicken Dip made from local, farm-fed chickens. Recently my partner and I decided to stop purchasing meat from large big box grocery stores and instead are visiting one of the local butchers when we need to stock up on meat. The meat is a more expensive, but it's also more ethical and that just sits better with us.

For more acts of kindness here's last year's E List: Random Acts of Kindness beginning with "E."



2 comments:

  1. I tasted some smoke cheese recently that was made locally. It was a bit rich for my tastebuds but I am open to trying other varieties from the local establishment. I do like the idea of getting locally grown food as much as possible. Unfortunately, geographical limitations pose some difficulty in accessing these items (at affordable prices) for men, women and families who may be miles away from the nearest farmer's market or co-op.

    Is it me or has Buffalo chicken dip has become quite popular within the last year or so? I thought spinach dip was the thing but now I've seen family and friends rave about recipes for Buffalo chicken dip and I always plan to try it but then end up passing it up in favor of something simple and easy, like fruit and fresh veggies :)

    ~Nicole
    A-Z Participant
    The Madlab Post

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, geographic limitations can be an issue, unless of course they grow their own. I'm looking forward to growing my own little garden for the first time in years!

    ReplyDelete