Wednesday, April 8, 2015

A-Z Challenge: Random Acts of Kindness beginning with "G"

Throughout the A-Z Challenge I'll be blogging through the alphabet using each letter to create a list of Random Acts of Kindness. I've been collecting RAK ideas for some time now as I gear up to the 2016 launch of a project dear to my heart: B(e) Kind 366. I'll be performing an act of kindness every day of the leap year starting January 1st, 2016 while raising funds for World University Service of Canada (WUSC), an organisation that changed my life.

I'm starting each post with a synonym (of sorts) for kindness. I added this part to my posts because of an amazing movement I am a part of 1000 Voices Speak for Compassion. We link up monthly and blog about changing the world for the better. It's magical really. We're even on Twitter! @1000Speak

G is for Give

Googly Eye Bombing
is one of my favourite RAKs
Gifts - send one to someone, anyone - your trash collector, mail person, bus driver, teacher, a stranger. Give a gift basket to someone working on Christmas. Give a mental gift. (Since January is my birthday month I’ll be sending a gift to everyone who donates to B(e) Kind 366 in January of 2016).
Garden - plant your own (you can even do it indoors), tend someone else’s, get involved in a community one.
Give something up - soda, chocolate, potato chips, or - dare I say it - COFFEE, for a week or push yourself and give something up for a whole month. Who knows maybe you’ll stick with it!
Googly Eye Bomb!

That's it for my "G" List! Tomorrow's "H" List is a bit longer. Any guesses on what the "H" synonym will be?

I'm always on the look out for more ideas so please help me build my list of Random Acts of Kindness by leaving suggestions in the comments!

Want to win some Jane Austen swag?! Who doesn't?! Check out my super fun "If Jane Austen Blogged A-Z" post and test your Janeite knowledge!

26 comments:

  1. It's always good to give, whether it's your time or money. Someone will benefit. Excellent post, and happy A-Zing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sarah! Giving is always good, indeed!

      Delete
  2. Always nice to help someone else. Thanks for stopping by my blog today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, helping others seems to help us just as much!

      Delete
  3. I have sent random gifts to people before and it really does make a difference. I enjoyed your post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So lovely to hear that you have sent random gifts in the past! Glad you enjoyed your visit.

      Delete
  4. I love the idea of random gifts. Must see what I can do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved my year in gifts project that was great for the soul. I so have to googly eye bomb!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe I missed that part of your blog the first time around and yes, please do googly eye bomb; it's magical!

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. You'll see "smile" when "S" comes along. As for giving of time - I have a number of different versions of that already on the list. Both super suggestions!

      Delete
  7. Great post! Giving is such a good feeling. So is working in my garden and growing lots of my own veggies. :) I like to try to help others whenever I can- but it is always important to be reminded because there are so many opportunities each day where we could do something more. Thanks for the reminder. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once we start being conscious of all the good we can easily do it just becomes second nature. That's something I've been working at for some time now.

      Delete
  8. I like giving old clothes to charity shops. But this is a great reminder that I can do more!

    Ooh, and I spy a Jane Austen post...

    Annalisa, writing A-Z vignettes, at Wake Up, Eat, Write, Sleep

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I donate clothes at least once every six months! It's a really easy one to do :)

      Delete
  9. Love this theme. We have so much to give, if we just think about. And it doesn't have to be money. Got an abundance from your garden? Donate it to a food shelter. Our local animal shelter is always looking for old towels/blankets and cleaning supplies as well as food. Most retirement homes love volunteers (even for an hour or two a week) to visit, read, or play games with residents.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Giving is uber important. It does just as just as much for the giver as the receiver.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm a total gift giver...much to the dismay of my wallet ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have always been a G for gift giver. Alas - am tired because at some point I expect returns. I will do the G for give up on sugar, and G for garden this summer. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a gift giver as well, Arpita! Happy gardening this summer.

      Delete
  13. Hey Brandy,

    Well, you've got a FUN theme for the Challenge!!

    Good for you and I wish you allllll the very best for your B(e) kind 366 event...

    Hmm... a random act of kindness.... how about you (as the lady) holding the door open for (I'm sure the surprised) gentleman behind you.

    Or... stopping by a table in a fast food restaurant and offering to take their napkin-and-food filled trays to the trash can.

    Anyway, good luck.... and congrats to you and your husband... that's a wonderful wedding picture :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mark! I am having a lot of fun with it. I do not have clear a table at a fast food restaurant on my list yet so thank you for that one!

      Delete