Saturday, April 6, 2013

A-Z Challenge: F is for Fredericton

Well, it's the end of the first week of A-Z, ladies and gentlemen and today, F is for Fredericton. In keeping with my chosen theme of "All Things Grad School," I'm going to tell you just a few fun facts (three f-words in a row - bam!) about Fredericton, the city that I will be living in for the twenty months it will take me to complete my Master's.


Fredericton is the capital city of New Brunswick, Canada. It's population is just under 57,000, slightly larger than the city I am moving from (Brandon, Manitoba).

Fredericton has been referred to as the Poets' Corner of Canada and if that fact isn't exciting to an English major like me, I don't know what is!

Fredericton is known for its Indie Rock scene (which really excites me because it's my favorite genre of music). In fact, the Harvest Jazz and Blues Festival takes place in Fredericton from September 10-15, 2013. I'll be living there by then - pumped!

Other things in Fredericton that I look forward to:

  • Beaverbrook Art Gallery (they have Salvador Dali paintings!)
  • Playhouse (the main venue for Theatre New Brunswick - singing and dancing and acting, o my!)
  • National Historic Sites (there are twelve of them!)
  • Seafood (as in like real, fresh, East Coast of Canada seafood - yum!)

I really can't wait to explore the art, culture, and history of this city. Fredericton is going to be all kinds of fantastic fun! 


4 comments:

  1. Have fun in Frederiction. And te city sounds pretty cool. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well that's mean, cause you made it sound so cool, that I want to come live there too. Will have you room for guests do you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most definitely! I hope that many people will pay me a visit and drag me out of the library!

      Delete
  3. Sounds amazing! As a writer, poet, and artist, I'd love to explore the city one day. Thanks for the introduction to an interesting place! I've always wanted a summer retreat up north when it's sweltering hot down here in Virginia USA.

    ReplyDelete