Friday, March 4, 2011

Where do I Start?

How about the beginning...
I decided that it's high time I get myself out of this country and volunteering abroad rather than simply helping other people do exactly that. At the end of December, I mailed my application to Students Without Borders (SWB) for a placement at the World University Service of Canada (WUSC) Field Office in Gaborone, Botswana.


On January 18th (my sister's birthday), I had my phone interview with the SWB staff. On February 7th, I received an email letting me know that I had been recommended to the WUSC Field Office in Gaborone. For the next 24 days, 9 hours, and 37 minutes (I'm just kidding, I don't actually know the hours and minutes), I waited and waited and waited, crazy going slowly the entire time. On March 3rd, I received my acceptance email. At that point, I basically started bouncing off the walls.

As you can see by the date on this post, it is March 4th. I have all of my pre-departure documents sprawled across my living room floor, my doctor's appointment booked for next Thursday, a to-do list that keeps getting longer with each passing thought, and an intense wonderment at how exactly I am going to have $1800 ready for March 21st and then another $2500 ready for April 1st. From this point forward, my life is going to be travelling at the speed of a cheetah!

I suppose you might be wondering what exactly I will be doing in Gabs. Here is the link to the placement description:
Program Assistant-ISM and SWB

No comments:

Post a Comment